Tuesday, July 17, 2007

SoulFire

I have a wonderful friend who has the gift and the ability to be a fabulous hostess. She has given me use of her guest house on a couple of occasions now so that I can lead retreats there. She is also really digging into her spiritual life and exploding with all sorts of amazing insights and growth. Something she has recently discovered is her fire, both physically and metaphorically. So I wanted to make her something for the wall where she does her spiritual work.


I used these strips of color to symbolize the bits and pieces she brought together that formed the basis for her firey spiritual work. As the pieces were gathered, they grew.

Next, I placed the fire on a stary background. The background is quilted in 2 inch squares. This symbolized the straight and narrow background she came from before digging into her spiritual work. Up close, you can see that there is puckering and pulling (ie, this isn't the way things were meant to be).

And then, the fire begins! This is the first time I have used metalic thread, and I had SUCH FUN creating the licking fire. I really like the way the fire quilting turned out. I felt like I could create thread flames all day!

1 comment:

Deborah Boschert said...

Wow! Great job with the metallic thread. Sometimes it can be really hard to use.

Hey, I am trying to figure out some details about replying to comments. I have two questions for you:

Do you have your blog set to email comments to you?

If your comments do come to you by email, can you just hit "reply" and my email address is included?