Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Purpose for the Bull's Eyes

We've now completed our swap for the Bull's Eye squares we were doing. And they were just sitting there in neat piles, not calling to me at all. But then Thursday morning, I found out my hometown was destoyed by a tornado.

I got right to work on sewing the quarters together to make squares. I'll use them to make small prayer blankets for some of the families that lost everything or were injured.

When I pulled a string off my sewing machine, I realized how beautiful they were and the boys and I just had to hang them like Tibetan Prayer Flags for a moment before we continued:


I knew I could have spent months looking at the colors of each quarter and trying to match them up with just the right other 3 quarters for the perfect look.
To break that habit, I simply went to the sewing machine with the piles, and randomly began sewing 2 together, then another 2, then another 2 until all the quarters became halves:


Then I cut each half from the string of halves, ironed it flat, and made a big stack of halves. I sat back down at the machine and randomly sewed halves together to make whole squares, then cut them apart and ironed them flat:


This morning I went to That Place on Market in Danville to get some $1/yard fabric for the background and back, and I'll keep working (*after* I work at my paying gig, spend some time with the hubby, and some time with the family...)

2 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Oh, Helen, how awful! I am so sorry to hear that your hometown was so hard hit. How good that you had something at hand to do to help out. The blocks look fabulous hung over your outdoor gate. I am glad you have a use for them now.

Donna said...

they'll make wonderful prayer quilts -- sorry they are needed, but you will provide comfort.

I too have often thought of the idea of tibetan prayer flags when I've been doing string piecing -- seeing yours over the archway, I may experiemnt and give hanging some up a try :-)