Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Dyeing fabric, take 1

I have never dyed fabric before. Actually, I am trying to paint raw silk using Setasilk from Darma Trading Co.
And this isn't just for fun in my spare time. Somehow I volunteered to paint 50 yards of it to use this weekend to change an old dining hall into a worship/gathering space. WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!
Deep Breath.
OK. First things first, we should do some testing, right?
Alright. Let's start with one yard of raw silk (actually 1 yard washed and 1 yard unwashed so that I can decide whether it's really necessary to wash the other 48 yards).

Next, gather the rest of the supplies: Thinned paint, paint brush, gloves, cut outs for sun printing...

Paint fabric. Place in sun. Place cut-outs on top of fabric. Paint will leave the covered areas leaving white underneath the cutouts.

Wait.

After it is dry, take off the cutouts and...Ta Don't...sigh. That didn't work very well.
Back to the drawing board.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Testing testing to see if your comments now work.

Anonymous said...

I think it worked! Now for my real comment. Success is not determined until you iron the piece and watch the magic happen.

Ironing will make a BIG difference.