Tuesday, February 26, 2008

CyberFyber

Fiber artist Susan Lenz is putting together a show entitled, "CyberFiber" and part of it will include 163 fiber art postcards from artist that also blog. She had an open invitation to anyone who blogged, so I signed up!

Susan actually made 163 postcards herself, and then each artist could chose one of Susan's postcards to get in exchange for theirs. I chose her postcard #154 and it arrived in an amazingly short time:


It took me a couple of days to send my "Amoeba" postcard back to her because my toddler tinkered with my sewing machine and now it won't run. I had to take my fabric, backing, and thread to a friend's house to finish the edges.
I've got several "Amoeba" pieces of different sizes. They came from our SpirARTuality group's summer fabric painting day. When I painted, I taped on 3-4 layers of fabric, and the Amoeba fabric are the ones that were nearest the bottom of the pile. Only bits and spots of fabric soaked through. I really love the look of it. I then take simple thread and sew around the blobs:


My work is going to be in a show! (With a thousand other artist, but it's still exciting.) Thanks, Susan!!!

2 comments:

Cyber Fyber said...

Hi!
Thanks so much for this wonderful post about CYBER FYBER! I'll be linking it to our trade. I also mentioned you the other day to an author plugging her new book at the South Carolina Book Festival. Her name is Cristy Fossum. The book is titled Sunday by Sunday. We were discussing how the Internet has brought people together. Cristy is a Lutheran minister and I remembered your other blogs....using the Internet to connect a congregation, another community of like-minded people. Anyway, thanks for the blog post!
Susan
Oh, I'll be cutting up two other older pieces to continue trading with new fiber artists....look for it in May!

Deborah Boschert said...

Oh I love the stitching around the blobs. Great job.