Monday, January 7, 2008

Faith, Hope, and Love

I started and finished 2 pieces this weekend. It's a record!
I also didn't make any mistakes while making them. It's a miracle!

I had them 80% done last night when we went to bed, and began wondering when I'd get a chance to finish them. So I got up after the boys were soundly asleep and put in the last hour's work.

I call them Faith, Hope, and Love (red) and Faith, Hope, and Love (blue). They can be hung together as companion pieces, or alone.

I originally planned to center the squares in the squares, but I'm so much happier that my messy side took hold and convinced me to make the smaller squares off-kilter.


Faith, Hope and Love create... pride. ;) and a good dose of happiness.

I finished these in a new way. I used fusable interfacing instead of batting. I fused it to the top side of the piece. Next, I machine stitched the rod pocket onto the back side of the piece.
Then I made my right sides together sandwich and stitched around most of the way leaving part of a side open for turning. Before turning, I ironed the edge open, and that seemed to help alot. Also, I ironed on a strip of WonderUnder on the open edge. Then I turned, and ironed well and fused the opening shut with WonderUnder. Finally, I sewed on the squares.

I LOVE this way of finishing! The only thing you need to be aware of is to make sure you don't sew up your rod pocket with the applique. I pushed my squares a bit lower so they wouldn't overlap with the rod pockets. (Again, a miracle that I caught this before I did it!)

2 comments:

Donna said...

doing quilts as "envelopes" is a great time saver, and a wonderful finish for some styles... Glad you were able to avoid the rod pocket -- I've sewn more then one closed by appliquing after the fact :-(

C said...

I love that your messy side took over! It's perfect to have them off-kilter!