Thursday, January 3, 2008

Surrounding yourself with art

When we stayed at our friend's home, Luke and I slept on a futon on their upstairs landing. These quilts and weavings were draped over their railing. It was a delight to sleep next to them, wake to them, and have them in such plain sight:


Here is my favorite quilt of theirs. When I asked them about it, I found out that both of these quilts shown below were made by her grandmother when she wanted a rug for her house. This first piece is the hubby's favorite. It's got more cotton fabrics in it and is more elaborate:


And this one is my favorite:

It's made up of wonderful crushed velvet squares, with brightly colored double-knit and some bold embroidery floss stitching:

I can't imagine using these on my floors. But I also imagine her grandmother in Greece making do with what she had. I think she said these may have been made in the 60s.

How delightful!

2 comments:

Donna said...

I was in a Pakistani friend's home and they had an elaborate applique cloth for a rug... I was comforted that while it was used as a rug the quilt was well treated -- everyone only wore socks on it, and it wasn't in a high traffic area...

Donna said...

I'd love to do a fabric swap, but your comment was no reply.... send me an email and we can "talk" :-)