Sunday, January 6, 2008

Sculpty Nativity

Our December SpirARTuality group got together to make Sculpty nativity scenes. I had learned to do it from a wonderful artist, Judy King, who had started making these when she was Registrar at ETSS in Austin, but left to work on her art full-time.

I had hoped to be in contact with Judy to get a refresher course before our SpirARTuality class-but I didn't. So we winged it. The others, I thought, did better than I. But here's my result:


The most important thing when doing this is to use a good-quality pasta maker to run the sculpty through time and time again to get interestingly melded, thin, plyable sheets of sculpty. We also used little face, hands, and feet molds which give you one shape but you can then scunch and change it into other shapes.

If you've got the supplies and at least half a day, it's a fun project. MUCH more fun when you do it with others!

No comments: