Sunday, January 6, 2008

Wonky Christmas Present

Our family draws names for Christmas. This year, my hubby and I were to give to my sister in Kansas and her hubby. I wanted to give them something they'd really like and could use, but wasn't coming up with anything. Then I had an inspiration! Note cards with pen-and-ink drawings of their house.

But we have a $50 per person limit, so I'd need to be creative:

I e-mailed an old college friend who lives in their town, and he snuck over and took pictures of their house that very day and e-mailed them to us.

My husband, who minored in graphic arts and really likes to do this sort of thing, spent several hours on Photoshop changing the color photo to something like a black-and-white print. (He also removed a car, telephone lines, background homes, and re-drew at least 1/2 of the tree branches.)

The stationary store I checked with quoted me $355 for 25 cards. I don't THINK so! CopyMax didn't have thicker paper or matching envelopes. But the college print shop did. They printed on really nice paper with matching lovely envelopes, and it was a great deal.

I also planned on matting an 8X10 print for their wall. Then someone said, "Why aren't you giving any of your art for christmas?" I hit my head with the palm of my hand and said, "I'll print it on fabric and make a wallhanging.

I had 2 hours before it had to get to the postoffice and here's what turned out:


I'm delighted with it, except for that top left edge. HOW in the world did I do that? I looked and looked, and my sewing lines seem straight to me.
When I was done and saw the wonkiness, I decided not to send it. My friend Jo and husband both encouraged me to go ahead and send it. So I did. I'll not be insulted if they don't hang it. And would be happy to do it over if they really do like it.

All in all, I'm very happy with the way my husband and I worked together to create their christmas gifts. It was a gift to ourselves along the way.

1 comment:

Donna said...

what a creative gift -- they must know how much time and thought you spent on them. Is the "wonkiness" largely optical due to the line on the fabric being at an angle?